Sunday, August 11, 2013

The colors of sunlight

August is here and we've had a really hot summer so far! Not being used to temperatures above 35 °C, for a few days it was just splashing in pools, having cold drinks in the shade and midday naps in the house and sweating at every smallest action (or without any, even).

The upside - besides the obvious ones - was this summer provided the perfect opportunity to use my new sunglasses! World's best boyfriend gifted me a coupon for some really nice sunglasses for my birthday back in April and now I finally got around to picking some.

"Happy moment outdoors" kit: My new sunglasses and a letter from a friend.

These are polarized glasses by Maui Jim and the glasses are put together by whoknowshowmany layers, each one serving a dedicated purpose. Some will reduce reflections on smooth surfaces or water, others will increase contrast etc. etc. They're very comfortable but looking through them still took some getting used to because everything looks like "let's open Photoshop and increase saturation by 20%". Traffic signs are redder, fields and trees are greener, clouds have a stronger texture in an almost purple sky.

Conclusion: You don't need drugs to perceive a more colorful world.

Before I even bought the sunglasses I decorated some blank Amalfi cards. Lines and letters are done with waterproof India ink and glass dip pen, then painted over with sheer watercolor washes. On the card below I used a round brush for the watercolor strokes but later I found a flat brush to work better. Amalfi paper is great for watercolor or ink-water-washes because it will take quite a bit of water (especially the cards) and doesn't eat up the vibrancy of the colors.
In the glass pen India ink will flow irregularly with blobs and splotches - I have to admit I like the effect. It adds some texture and the blobs will keep a beautiful sheen even when dried.

Amalfi paper greeting card, India ink and watercolor.

Also looks good in a similar range of colors. I did another, rather romantic version with black vines and petals under broad stripes of mangan violet, soft lilac and ultramarine.

No comments:

Post a Comment